Story Behind the Photo: San Marcos de Colon, Honduras


I have realized that I live for moments that take my breath away. The goose-bump giving, mind blowing, God given revelations that assure me of His presence in the day to day. This story is no exception. As I mentioned the previous Story Behind the Photo post, a few years ago I visited a small village in the heart of Honduras. As my heart often tends to do on trips like these, I was drawn to the children living there. 

At first your heart breaks for their meager living conditions, their dirty, shoe less feet and their tattered clothing. My heart ached for them and secretly wished that I could scoop each of them up and take them home with me. But then the Lord pushed me to look deeper than their circumstances, their living conditions or just simply the location of their homes. He was asking me to look and find Him in the moment. A few seconds later, I turned around to see two brothers riding bareback and ecstatic to see a group of Americans close to their home. And I saw joy. All over their precious faces. I saw love in the way that they interacted with each other and their families. Yes, they needed medical care. Of course their home could use a little tender loving care. But it was almost as if I saw a small picture of how the Lord sees us in that moment. Tattered, in need of repair, in need of rescue, just waiting for a glimpse of glory to give us hope. 



The remainder of that week I kept thinking of that moment. Just like Jesus, our rescuer, riding up on horseback to save the day. I'm so thankful for the small moments that I was able to spend with the children in that tiny village. To encourage a smile, to play a simple game of hide and seek, to give a hug or a piggy back ride. And to be reminded in the midst of difficult circumstances that Jesus is there. He patiently waits for us to look to him when we are in need of rescuing and healing.
                                                                          photo d58a37ad-be1f-466c-a9a7-24e7c64f6147_zpsae98e763.png

No comments :

Post a Comment