Story Behind the Photo: Honduras

Happy Monday! Drew and I just got back from our weekend getaway in Atlanta and I can't wait to recap the festivities that my hubby surprised me with. I am so excited about the new series I am beginning, Story Behind the Photo. One of the best parts about being a photographer is the story that you can convey in a single photograph. Even better is hearing the details behind that photograph. I have enjoyed reminiscing as I have looked back over these photos and I can't wait to share each one with you.


Back in the Summer of 2009, I had the incredible opportunity to join a medical mission team's trip to Honduras and Nicaragua. I had some nursing assistant experience and knew a bit of Spanish and was itching to love on some people overseas. It was an eventful trip to say the least but it had the Lord's hand all over it! Just hours after we landed, the President of Honduras evacuated the country as the people were threatening to overthrow the government. We left the same area just as the military arrived and we so happy to arrive safely at the ministry house that afternoon.

Of all the people that we met over the course of that week, I will always remember this man...


The pastor had told us that the village we would be traveling to that day, rarely receives medical attention and often wait years to receive care. We drove for hours on steep, curvy roads without guardrails, driving past beautiful lush mountains and small slum villages. When we arrived, a line had already formed at the church and later that day, a few of us decided to do some exploring a few streets down. As we walked down the dusty dirt road, a few children greeted us and a few adults tried to explain that there was someone who needed help.

They led us to a small mud hut at the end of the road before the fields that they were farming. We called inside the house but no one answered. Just as we started to walk away, a small frail looking man stepped out of his home. We could tell right away that he was having trouble walking and that one of his legs had a festering wound.We started to ask him questions and found out that he had diabetes and that due to poor circulation in his legs, he had gotten an infection a few weeks ago. We said that we would return and brought one of the doctors inside his small home. We carefully washed and bandaged his wounds and prayed that the Lord would heal him.

Though I sadly can't recall his name, his face full of humble gratitude is forever etched in my mind. His pockets overflowing with extra bandages and medical supplies. His weathered skin from years of working in a small field. And the view that kept me glancing back at him as he stood in front of his mud shack, waving his hat goodbye as we walked away.
                                                                               photo d58a37ad-be1f-466c-a9a7-24e7c64f6147_zpsae98e763.png

2 comments :

  1. This is beautiful!
    I love the idea of the series- and this story is moving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amy! It's been so great looking back over my travels and remembering these moments.

    ReplyDelete