Weekend Birthday Celebration: Atlanta

This weekend my lovely husband surprised me with a few days of fun in downtown Atlanta. My birthday is actually next weekend (woo hoo!) but my sister is coming into town and my grandmother is turning 90 years old. As fun as birthdays are, mine has always had an extra dose of fun! I was born on my mom's birthday and her mom's birthday is only four days after ours. It's just amazing to me that we have three generations of women with birthdays packed in the same weekend. So we decided to celebrate early and Drew did not disappoint.


We started our adventure at Victory Sandwich Bar down in Decatur and it was amazing. Drew had their brunch special and I had a ham and pimento cheese sandwich. You have to try their Jack and Coke slushies on tap if you ever visit.


The next stop was to check in at the bed and breakfast that Drew found for us. I did not even know that a bed and breakfast even existed in downtown Atlanta but Drew found one! Let me just tell you....it is a glorious place to stay. Stonehurst Place is a house originally built in the late 1800's and one of the owner's children lived in the house and rented it out until she passed away. She had an incredible art collection and it stayed with the house after it was sold to the current owner. Every inch of this house has a unique story and Drew and I loved learning all about it.


I'm a sucker for big bathrooms and our room had a huge bathtub with a view of the city to boot. Almost every room had an original fireplace and each of them were intricately designed. In one of their hallways they have a wall filled with magazine covers from Flair, a magazine that only made it for a year in the 1950's due to it's lavishness. The house is filled with books of all kinds and as I was browsing through I came across an original Mastering the Art of French Cooking, by Julia Child, Simone Beck and Loisette Bertholle. One of my favorite movies is Julie and Julia and cooking through a cookbook and blogging about it is definitely on my bucket list.


Drew found a delightful restaurant called White Oak Kitchen, they put a modern twist on Southern favorites. We shared the rock shrimp beignets with white barbecue sauce and I would go back again just for these little beauties. We also loved their brisket with Coca Cola barbecue sauce and their cheesy garlic grits. Our friendly waiter just happened to know we were celebrating my birthday and brought us a banana's foster bread pudding. I'm getting hungry just thinking about that meal.


The next morning Stonehurst fixed us a yummy breakfast and Drew told me that the rest of the day was up to me. We window-shopped for the better part of the morning, grabbed coffee and did a little dreaming together and also visited Anthropologie. Drew helped me pick out a new perfume called Kensington Garden and I have loved wearing it this week. We ended our celebration with a trip to Jeni's Ice cream shop (a post devoted just to this delightful company will be happening soon) and it was the perfect way to finish the day. What are your little indulgences? What are your favorite places to go in Atlanta? We are always up for trying new things and new places!

Drew you know my heart so well, spoil me to pieces and make me feel so special. I'm so happy that we are on this adventure together and I can't wait to see what the Lord will bring our way this year! I love you same!

                                                                                          photo d58a37ad-be1f-466c-a9a7-24e7c64f6147_zpsae98e763.png
Click the links in my post or below to find out more information:
1. Victory Sandwich Bar//
2. Stonehurst Place Bed & Breakfast//
3. White Oak Kitchen//
4. Anthropologie//
5. Jeni's Splendid Ice creams//

No comments :

Post a Comment