Story Behind the Photo: China- The Great Wall

I'm just gonna be honest, I flat out love my husband and I's love story. It didn't come without challenges but it has been full of many joys as well. While we were dating, I lived in China for six months and taught English. During the last ten days of my time there, Drew came over and we traveled around a few cities, Beijing, Xian, Shenzhen and Hong Kong.

There were several defining moments in our relationship that occurred during our trip. We said "I love you" for the first time, discussed marriage and a potential timeline for our engagement and definitely fell more in love with each other.

A few nights before Drew arrived to Beijing, I had a dream that he proposed to me on the Great Wall. As the day arrived where we would be hiking on the Wall, I was so excited and slightly nervous thinking about the possibility of my dream coming true. As we were walking on the wall that day, we stopped for a little break and I noticed Drew was digging in his backpack for something. I remember thinking, "Oh my stars, this is it. He's going to propose!". And then he proceeded to pull out a water bottle from his bag. My heart sunk a little and then just as quickly, I forgot about it and moved on.

While I wasn't proposed to that day, what I do remember is trying to soak up every moment of it. Even though it was February and freezing cold, the views were breathtaking, the stories our guide told us were incredible and we fulfilled a dream of mine to be in another country side by side. It was astounding thinking about how this ancient fortress was made, brick by brick by so many men, so many hundreds of years ago.

I'm so thankful that I had my camera with me that day and the picture below is my favorite view. I will never forget the feeling of standing on top of that Wall, holding the hand of the man who would one day be my husband and dreaming about what the future would hold for us. Do you have a similar story? What moments have been the most monumental in your life as you have traveled?
                                                                                                     photo d58a37ad-be1f-466c-a9a7-24e7c64f6147_zpsae98e763.png


6 comments :

  1. Gorgeous picture and I love the story behind it that much more! My husband and I got engaged in Nashville, TN at Gaylord Opryland over my birthday weekend. He remembered that I had told him I didn't want to be proposed to on my birthday because I wanted our engagement to be on its own special day! :) But, I didn't remember that and thought for sure he would propose on my birthday. When it didn't happen, I pouted but the next evening he proposed and reminded me why he didn't do it the day before! But, I remember that weekend clearly and will never forget it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing your story Sarah! I love that your husband remembered that detail and made the engagement special for you!! I hope that you have a wonderful weekend and thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ashley! That photo is absolutely beautiful. I love hearing about every season of a relationship because there is always so much to celebrate! So happy for you guys:)
    <3 Daisy @ Simplicity Relished

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Daisy! Just took a peek at your blog and look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What sweet reflections! I think we've all had those "is he going to propose?!" Moments haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha Lauren, I lost count of how many of those moments that we had! Drew loves to keep me on my toes but managed to pull of our actual engagement without me catching on :)

    ReplyDelete