When Technology Takes Over: Fighting for Balance


Drew and I recently went out on a date and were having a lovely evening. After we had ordered I glanced across the room. Nearly every single person in the restaurant was looking at their phones, instead of the person they were sharing a meal with. I looked at Drew and we talked about how we never wanted to follow suit.

Let's be honest, just for a minute or two. How much time do you spend on some kind of electronic device? Phone, TV, laptop, a Netflix account, Pinterest, the list can go on and on. I'll be honest, if I'm bored, I'm on my phone Instagram account. My bible study (which I love dearly), is on my laptop and is also accessible through my phone. As a photographer, editing pictures and marketing them wisely online is an essential part of my job. As a blogger, if I didn't have internet access, a computer and my phone to help take pictures, I wouldn't be able to write these lovely posts. So much of my daily work schedule revolves around the internet in some shape or form. All of these devices and tools are super and within the context of using them in a healthy way can do wonders and a whole lot of good. But I wonder if they are also harming the way we communicate, the way we interact with friends and the way future generations will experience the world. If there is not a balance, then the question that I'm left with is this: has technology taken over?

I sat at my computer overwhelmed earlier last week with feelings of inadequacy, wondering if what I was producing through my camera lens and words on my blog would truly matter. I felt this way after perusing fellow bloggers sites with like-minded passions and then spent time reflecting on why I was feeling so insecure. I think that there is something that everyone could agree on: we all want to be known and be heard. I believe that the Lord placed this desire within us to actually draw us back to himself. He is truly the only one who can fill the void and bring our hearts back to the truth that He is all that we need. Sadly I think that many of us can say that we fill this void with social media likes and comments and often find our self worth there. I don't think that's what the Lord intended and I'm so thankful that it's not.

My heart's desire is to build community with other women, for someone to stumble upon a picture and feel inspired, to create a healthy recipe for their family and to be encouraged to seek Jesus. That's what I feel led to do through this creative space but I never want it to take away from time that I could be making a memory with my husband, taking my little pups to the park, grabbing a cup of tea with a friend, creating something original and not just a Pinterest replica or (dare I say it) sitting in stillness for a bit. It's almost like there is always a void to be filled these days and I never want it to consume me. I don't want to waste time and knowingly allow technology to become an idol in my life. I want to fight for moments of simplicity and have technology free days as part of the norm in our life. But I also would never want anyone to feel the inadequate by reading my blog or looking at my photographs, I truly want to encourage and not discourage. I am just as guilty of indulging too often in what technology has to offer, but I want to use my influence wisely and choose to be more balanced. Do anyone ever feel the same? What boundaries do you take to protect your heart against technology taking over?
                                                                               photo d58a37ad-be1f-466c-a9a7-24e7c64f6147_zpsae98e763.png

7 comments :

  1. Yes, yes, so many times, yes! I have struggled with these same thoughts - it's such a balance, trying to be in the world and use tools like social media for the kingdom, while also protecting yourself from falling prey to that very tool. Thanks for stirring curiosity and reminding us to be intentional, even about the little things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so easy for me to get overwhelmed and yet thankfully that's the same moment that I'm normally nudged to realize that it's not the focus. I'm so thankful to hear that I'm not alone in this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! SO well written and thought out Ashley!

    I think this is something that we each need to guard against! It's way too easy to get caught up in technology- and to not ever give/take a break from it.

    I have to admit that I love instagram and blogging (the rest, i could probably do without), but I honestly need to be careful how much time I am spending consumed in those things, if it's taking away from time here in the moment with my sweet husband or friends.

    Thanks for these words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of building community and inspiring other women through your photography-- what a wonderful vision! Really loved this piece, it was so thoughtful and encouraging:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was nodding the whole time i was reading this. Sadly, if my hubby and i would have been in that restaurant with you, you would have seen him on his phone! It drives me crazy but i try not to do it too 'just because' or become a nag about it. I have been contemplating setting a whole day to not being online -at all- and the thought is actually a relaxing one. thanks for this encouragement!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much Amy! It has been on my heart for quite some time now and to be honest I was nervous as I pushed the publish button but I'm learning how to be brave in the little things too. Thank you for the encouraging comments Daisy and Laura! It's so hard fighting for a good balance but so worth it! So thankful that I'm not alone in this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a good post. If I'm being honest, I probably spend way too much time on my phone and computer. One of my goals lately has been to have some tech-free days. I need to be intentional a about those!!

    ReplyDelete