10 Reasons to Shop Homemade for Christmas


I don't know about you but I cannot believe that it's the end of October! I adore this Fall season and cannot wait to celebrate the holidays at home this year! Personally, I don't love that so many stores are rushing to put Christmas items out before we've even celebrated my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving. That being said, I have a huge heart for small businesses and their owners and it's my goal this year to try and shop homemade or create my Christmas gifts this year. Here are ten reasons why I think everyone should shop homemade for Christmas.

1. Uniqueness | Who doesn't love receiving a gift that you know you won't see in everyone else's home, in every store you enter or all over Pinterest? It always makes me feel special as the gift giver when I know I've found an item that is perfectly suited for the person I'm shopping for.

2. Affordability | I often find that I'm able to stretch my money further when I purchase homemade items. There are times when homemade items can cost more due to the time that is put into making an item, but for the most part, I've found that that gifts I purchase are budget friendly.

3. Convenience | I've told y'all before that I'm a shopper and I love the hustle and bustle of the holiday shopping season but there are times when I enjoy browsing through Etsy and I do appreciate knowing that my gifts can either be shipped to the person I'm shopping for or delivered right to my doorstep. 

4. Impact | Many of the shops where I purchase homemade items are run by owners who are selling their lovingly made treasures in their spare time or for a second job. Wouldn't it be a blessing to them if we were able to support these creative geniuses during the holidays? There are also many non profits and organizations who sell items by artisans from around the world. Your gift can bless the artist, their families the work of the staff running the organization, as well as the person receiving the gift. One of my favorite organizations is the Refugee Sewing Society, visit their shop here.

5. Quality | I can't speak for every person's shop who creates homemade items, but from personal experience, the handmade items that I've purchased usually last longer and are more durable than items purchased from a large chain store. 

6. Meaning | Often a story can accompany an item along with information about the person who made it or the organization who is selling the item for the artist. I love a good story and desire to have my belongings hold meaning.

7. Exposure | If you fall in love with an item that you purchased, aren't you more inclined to tell instagram all of your friends about it? What a great way to share your favorite shop with your family and friends this year!

8. Custom Made | Don't you just hate it when you find a gift but it only comes in orange and it just so happens that it's the color your friend despises? Maybe that doesn't happen to everyone but when it happens to me, I sure am thankful that I can ask the owner of my favorite shop to create an item that is simply perfect. 

9. Generosity | I firmly believe that as believers we are called to be generous and giving people. When we support other believers, we are able to sow back into the kingdom. I love Target but I would rather choose to spend my money in a responsible way. I also love gifting the shop owner with the ability to continue to be creative and use the artistic gifts they have been given to bless others. 

10. Loveliness | If all of the above reasons haven't stirred the inner shopper inside you, then surely the overall cuteness factor of handmade items should win you over. 

Shopping homemade just makes me giddy with excitement about this upcoming holiday season. I plan on sharing my favorite places to shop handmade with you soon!
                                                                                                      photo d58a37ad-be1f-466c-a9a7-24e7c64f6147_zpsae98e763.png
Posts you may enjoy:
A Weekly Dose of Pinspiration
Fall is in the Air
The Refugee Sewing Society

3 comments :

  1. This is AWESOME!! I love the idea of shopping homemade... there's something wonderful about supporting crafters and giving unique gifts. I am so on board!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I just did a post this week on my favorite Etsy shops in hopes to inspire more people to shop handmade for Christmas this year! Stopping by from the Peony Project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great! I love shopping handmade! I Love all the points you covered. It's one of my favorite things to find gifts for friends that are unique.

    ReplyDelete