Healthy Choices: DIY Aloe Juice


Back in college, I struggled with some tummy issues and my doctor at the time loaded me up on prescriptions and it took my body years to get back to a normal state. Over the years I've tried different remedies for heartburn but nothing has compared to a natural remedy that my friend told me about. Aloe Juice. I was sceptical at first, but when my pregnant friend found sweet relief from her heartburn, I thought I would give it a try. I love learning about natural remedies to help my body heal and after researching the humble aloe plant, I have been pleasantly surprised with my results.

Here's a little background on the benefits and uses of aloe. Not to get too nerdy on you, but the healing effects of aloe have been used for hundreds of years. Historians have found that the ancient Egyptians were one of the first people groups to use aloe for medicinal purposes. Aloe is best known for helping heal cuts and scraps but can also help lower cholesterol, balance sugar levels, calms inflammation and helps with various stomach issues. Curious to find out more? Check out this website for additional information.




While I was living in China I researched and learned how to make my own aloe juice. Just drinking a few tablespoons a day is all your body needs to heal in a more natural way.
Just so you know, because I don't add any preservatives, the juice needs to be used within 4 days of making it. Also, the aloe will take on the flavor of any liquid that you put it in. I often add it into a smoothie or just drink a few tablespoons with my breakfast! Here's my recipie!
Natural Aloe Juice
Ingredients:
1 medium aloe leaf
1 tablespoon of agave syrup 
2 cups of water 

A knife
A spoon
A cutting board 
A container with a lid
A food processor, blender or bullet 


1. If you have your own aloe plant, use a knife to slice off one large leaf at the base of your plant. Don't have your own aloe plant? Aloe leaves can be purchased inexpensively at farmers markets and large grocery stores like Whole Foods. I used a medium sized leaf in order to make one serving for four days. If your aloe leaf is larger, you can cut it into sections and use it for several more batches.


2. Wash off your aloe and cut off a thin part at the base of the leaf, where it may be a little yellowed. 


3. An aloe leaf has little spikes running along its sides. Take a knife and cut off the spikes.


4. Lay your aloe leaf on your cutting board and your basically going to filet the top thicker layer of the leaf.


5. Now you can see the aloe "meat" or gel in all it's gooey glory. Take a spoon and scrape out the clear gel. Try not to scrape any green bits from the inner leaf, as they it can upset your stomach. 



6. Place the gel and agave into your food processor or blender and combine the two until all of the aloe has changed to a thick liquid. The amount of time you blend the aloe is up to you. Less time means that your juice with have some chunky pieces and more time will allow the aloe to be fine. Taste as you blend and add more agave if you like it a bit sweeter.


7. Pour the aloe and agave mixture into a container. Add the water and stir until the aloe mixture and water have combined. Place your aloe juice in the refrigerator to chill.

8. Pour a few tablespoons into a glass and drink to your health!

                                                                                      photo d58a37ad-be1f-466c-a9a7-24e7c64f6147_zpsae98e763.png



                                                                         

No comments :

Post a Comment