Pumpkins, Apple Picking and Dahlonega Goodness


A few weekends ago, Drew and I drove up to Dahlonega to attend a wedding and decided to spend the morning and afternoon soaking up all things Fall. If you've never been to this quaint little mountain town, you are missing out. Envision the picturesque set of Gilmore Girls but with the North Georgia mountains as a back drop. Glory. Now I'm a bit partial because Dahlonega is also home to my alma mater, North Georgia College and State University (yes, I know that they've changed the name to University of North Georgia, but I can't help but hold onto the unusually long college name that I'm so fond of).



We started our adventure up in Elijay, home to the world's finest apple pies, and meandered our way through the many apple orchards that line Highway 52. We try and visit our two favorites whenever we are making a visit, Hillcrest Orchards and B.J. Reece Orchards. Both of these orchards offer the option to "Pick Your Own" apples and also sell freshly baked apple treats. Drew and I love the hand apple pies at B.J. Reece and the apple cider from Hillcrest.





Our next stop was Burt's Pumpkin Farm, where most of my pumpkin picking memories stem from. This family owned pumpkin farm offers hay rides through the pumpkin fields, has a precious country store filled with local produce and canned goods and makes the best pumpkin roll (this year they put a twist on their traditional roll by dunking it in funnel cake batter and deep frying it...craziness). We picked our pumpkins and headed down the mountain to grab a bite to eat.




One of my personal favorite things about going to college in a small town was the ability to walk to our town square to eat and shop. It's been three years since I've made a visit and a few restaurants have come and gone but thankfully The Picnic Cafe is still up and running. Fondly called the dessertery, this tiny cafe, bakes their own bread, creates delicious sweet treats and has the best tomato basil soup! It's the perfect place for a light bite and an afternoon cup of tea or coffee.

To top off our day, we strolled around North Georgia's campus that was ablaze with gorgeous hues of red and gold. The drill field and my old dorm (Get it Lewis Hall) are about the only things on campus that looked the same to me but all of the new buildings are beautiful too. College held so many precious memories for me and I'm so thankful for the core group of friendships that have remained long since graduation.




Today is our three year wedding anniversary and I'm so thankful for the incredible man who stands by my side and loves me with his whole heart. Drew, you are the love of my life, my biggest fan, my quiet, strong leader and my very best friend. I'm so very glad that you asked me to walk through life beside you! Love You Same!
                                                                                               photo d58a37ad-be1f-466c-a9a7-24e7c64f6147_zpsae98e763.png

2 comments :

  1. Ok, that pumpkin roll looks AMAZING! I love your blog and your pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kaylee! Oh that pumpkin roll looked incredible! We had just stuff ourselves on the hand apple pies!

    ReplyDelete