It Is Well With My Soul

It is difficult for us to trust. To simply let go of our puny human strength and fully embrace something that we cannot physically see or touch. And yet every fiber of my being chooses to trust that God is sovereign, that He truly is who He says He is and that He is in complete control of it all. 

My precious grandmother passed away last week and I know with all my heart that she is staring into the face of her Savior Jesus and worshiping at His feet. The pastor who spoke at her funeral this weekend sang one of her favorite songs to begin the service, It Is Well With My Soul. A few hours earlier, the song, It Is Well, played as I got ready to tell her goodbye. My grandmother was ready to meet Jesus face to face. She had filled her ninety years to the brim with life. It was well with her soul to see her beloved husband once again. It was well with her soul to be free of her earthly shell and live in perfect peace. 

I realized this morning that as sad as it is to lose a loved one, that I am truly grateful that the Lord called her home when He did. As much as He is involved in the big events in our lives: marriages, births, deaths, I love that He's a part of the little details in our days too. The fact that He is so intimately acquainted with my thoughts, my desires and my heart is beautifully overwhelming. I don't want to spend my life filling it with things or activities that simply make me busy. I want to fill my life with actions and words and prayers that matter. 



Thank you Betty Davis for living your life with purpose. Thank you for pouring truth into your children and your grandchildren. Thank you for passing down your love of gorgeous flowers, your thirst for adventure, your sassy attitude, your desire to dive into a good book and your traveling spirit to me. I love you dearly!

                                                                                                             photo d58a37ad-be1f-466c-a9a7-24e7c64f6147_zpsae98e763.png

4 comments :

  1. Your grandmother looks like such a sweet and special lady. I'm so sorry for your loss. I love your words "thank you for pouring truth into your children and grandchildren". I hope one day my children will say the same about me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words Whitney!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speechless... XOXO!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I want to fill my life with actions and words and prayers that matter. " I love that! I'm sorry about the passing of your Grandmother :( I know that this time must be hard. Praying for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete